Just imagine. The sound of waves crashing on the shore. The smell of salt and margaritas. The warmth of the sun on your skin. The sand and seashells beneath your feet as you walk down the shoreline. There are so many ways the beach makes us feel free, undone, and relaxed during summertime. There’s something so….natural and non-chaotic about it, right? You walk toward the pier, take a deep breath to drink in all the ocean has to offer, and then you see her.
You know, that girl.
She’s rolling 4 inches deep in makeup too light for her and you can see some sort of concoction running down her neck. It looks like some crazy mixture of foundation, SPF, tanning lotion, and bits of black streaks from her runny eyeliner. There are sections of her lashes that are glued together from heavy mascara that got sticky-fied from the salt air, and then the other sections are bone dry because water has washed them off. Her hair is matted because she tried to keep her runway hair intact using five cans of hairspray. She’s sweating up a storm and all that time and energy in front of the mirror is literally melting off her face. She’s a mess; correction, she’s a hot mess.
Maybe that girl is your best friend and you’re not sure how to tell her that she could have a much better experience on the beach if she just used a new beauty routine. Or heck, maybe that girl is you and you just need a little guidance on how to make the most of beach days.
We’re here to tell you that summer skincare is amazing because it requires much less hoop-lah that the rest of the year, especially on beach days. I snooped through allure.com for some beach makeup ideas and I also chatted with one of our stylists, Kris. So I put the two resources together and gave you my top 5 steps to have beach beauty without overdoing it! Here we go.
1. PROTECT PROTECT PROTECT
Everyone knows to use SPF. It’s in most makeup and lotion these days, however, most people don’t know how to differentiate between the “good” and the “bad” versions of SPF out there. Now, using SPF at all is a good thing, but do you know the difference in “everyday” SPF and “broad spectrum” SPF? Broad Spectrum SPF protects you from both UVA and UVB rays, so always look for that term on labels. We carry Dermologica’s Sheer Tint moisturizer, (comes in multiple shades!), it’s a level 30 SPF with broad spectrum coverage, and it works wonders!
2. USE A LIGHT-WEIGHT, TINTED MOISTURIZER INSTEAD OF HEAVY FOUNDATION
The reason the faces of women all across the shorelines of the world seem like they are melting off is because they are using heavy, creamy makeup before they hit the beach. Throw your heavy foundation on the shelf for this season; it looks caked-on and overdone. No mousses, no heavy liquid. Summer is all about natural and sun-kissed, and you can’t get that effortless look with tons of foundation that creases and smudges easily. Using tinted moisturizer instead gives you a little color while hydrating your face just a touch. Your face will produce enough oil on its own this summer, so don’t slather it on. If you don’t like the feel of liquid, we’d recommend a light dusting of loose mineral makeup. Again, we’d recommend Dermologica Sheer Tint products. We carry them in-salon, and they are amazing. For loose mineral makeup, we’d recommend MiraBella Makeup, which we are about to bring in!
3. TINT YOUR LASHES & DITCH THE MASCARA
Yep, ditch the mascara—even the waterproof kind! Waterproof mascara may not run off, but it clumps together and gives you spider-eyes! The best way to do beach days is to tint those lashes black so that your eyes naturally look like they have a light coat of mascara on them. We offer lash-tinting and since it lasts 6 weeks, you’ll have many chances to sport them at the beach or poolside. Learn what one of our skin technicians has to say about lash tinting at Posh!
4. EXFOLIATE MORE OFTEN
The sun dries our skin out. That’s just how it is. So we try and love on our skin a little more during summer, slathering on tons of SPF, night time moisturizer, tanning sprays, and the like. But all those products clog our pores up in the summer moreso than in other seasons. On top of that, our skin cells die faster due to sun damange, so we are walking around with more layers of dead skin (yeah, I know, gross). That’s why exfoliation matters so much during the summer. Some over-the-counter scrubs out there can actually tear your skin on a micro-level, so be sure to choose safe exfoliants for your skin. Exfoliate at home or get a facial here at Posh to open up those pores. Our estheticians would love to walk you through which exfoliation or facial option is safest for your skin type, so swing by any time!
5. USE A LIP STAIN, NOT LIPSTICK
Again, remember that anything creamy is going to smudge or melt almost instantly if you’re in a beach climate. For lip color, go with some type of SPF-based balm or chapstick. But if you have to have some color, we’d recommend throwing on some type of lipstain underneath your SPF balm. That way you make your color last and you’re not wondering if your lipstick has melted down the sides of your mouth!
And there you have it! Perfect, beach-ready makeup that isn’t overdone. Thanks to our stylist Kris and allure.com for these great ideas!
Merry Weekend everybody!
*kudos, love and credit go to allure.com for some of these beach ideas. Original article here.
Tired of penciling in your brows every day? Are your lashes invisible without two coats of mascara? Have you ever thought about having your lashes or brows tinted? At Posh, we offer both lash and brow tinting using a natural, vegetable-based product that offers an array of colors (even purple!) and depth of shades.
It’s perfect for blondes and redheads with invisible lashes, or anyone who wants their lashes and brows to really POP! It’s also great for covering up those pesky grey brows that show up over time. In addition to tinting, the sunflower oil in the product provides a nourishing treatment for the hair.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
For lashes we start by applying petroleum jelly to your under-eye area to protect the skin from staining by the tint because we don’t want you to leave looking like Alice Cooper! Using a tiny brush, we apply the tint to the lower lashes before applying to the upper lashes. Most clients choose black or dark brown for lashes. Tinting takes approximately 10-15 minutes, at which point we remove the tint with wet gauze. Some clients like to rinse their eyes with water from the sink too. Any tint that is on the skin is easily removed with a Q-tip and some tint remover. Voila! You have beautiful dark lashes without any makeup!
Brows take a little less time and are a great addition to your regular brow waxing! Color choices include auburn, two shades of brown, as well as blue or purple. Brows can take anywhere from one minute (for our super light blonde clients) to five minutes (to cover grey hair, which tends to be stubborn). We’ll show you the results and if you’re happy, great! If you want to go darker, we can apply the tint again for another minute or two until we achieve the depth of color you desire. Clean up for brows is quick and simple. Tinting also makes the brows appear thicker, a trend we can all get behind!
So come on in and let us make your lashes and brows beautiful, lush and full! I promise you’ll love it!
Stay hydrated during this heat, y’all! And don’t forget your sunscreen!
*feature image photo credit: alabamalaserandwellness.com
It’s officially Beach Season and that means it’s also officially Unwanted Hair Removal Season! If you don’t feel like shaving on vacation and want to stay smoother longer, waxing is the way to go. This time of year, our biggest waxing services are typically the underarm, leg, and bikini areas (including Brazilian waxing).
Tips to get the most out of your waxing experience:
1. Hair needs to be at least 1/4” long, but shouldn’t be longer than 1/2”. We want it long enough for the wax to grab for removal at the root, but if it’s too long the hair will feel like it’s being pulled before it’s being removed. So if you typically shave, give us at least 2 weeks of hair growth prior to your waxing appointment for best results. Likewise if hair is longer than 1/2”, pre-appointment trimming is always appreciated, but we are happy to help you out in the harder to reach areas.
2. Limit caffeine consumption prior to your appointment if possible. Some people find they are more sensitive when they’re had a lot of coffee or tea.
3. Pop a couple of ibuprofen (or similar) if you can about 1-2 hours prior to your appointment. Some people find it helps with discomfort, but it will also help with any post-waxing inflammation.
4. For legs, you can choose a half leg wax, which removes hair from your feet to just above your knee, or opt for the full leg wax.
5. A bikini wax is typically the removal of any hair that would be visible outside of your bathing suit, so we remove hair from the upper thigh and lower part of your abdomen. A tummy wax can be included as well!
6. A half brazilian wax removes more than a bikini wax, but not quite the whole kit & caboodle like the full brazilian wax. Not sure what you want? Feel free to ask us and we’ll help you decide what’s best for you!
Post-Waxing Care Tips
1. Stay out of the pool/hot tub for 24 hours post-waxing. Waxing opens up the hair follicles and chlorine can irritate them, leading to sensitivity or red bumps. Likewise, refrain from sexual activity to ensure that unwanted bacteria do not find their way inside the opened follicles.
2. Begin exfoliating about 24-48 hours (depending on your sensitivity) after waxing to remove the unwanted buildup of skin, which will greatly lessen your risk of ingrown hairs.
3. If you do get ingrown hairs, we recommend Tend Skin for treatment. We have small bottles too, which are perfect for traveling!
4. Be extra diligent with your sunscreen (we recommend Sun Bum– it’s the best!) over your waxed areas as they will be more sensitive and more prone to getting sunburned.
5. For best results, come back in and see us every 4-6 weeks for maintenance
Hard Wax or Soft Wax?
This can be a personal preference for both you the client and the esthetician performing your service. If you like hard wax, you’ll want to see Bonnie; if you prefer soft wax, you can see Bonnie or Francesca.
Some people find hard wax to be more comfortable since it does not stick to (and consequently remove) the top layer of skin, but it’s totally a personal choice for you!
I hope everyone has a happy and healthy and sunburn free summer! Come visit us before your next vacation and leave the razor at home!
*Feature image credit: daisedandconfusedfiles.wordpress.com.
We have exciting news! As many of you know, one of our stylists, Christa Speight, was in an accident resulting in the loss of one of her legs. She has undergone extensive recovery using prosthesis as well as physical therapy, and is ready to resume her hair career!
That’s right, Christa is back in action at Posh as of THIS TUESDAY, June 16th!! We are unbelievably proud of her courage and bravery during recovery and her positive spirit as she re-enters her career.
She wants all her clients to know two things: One, she’s back, and would love to start serving you again! And two, she is so thankful for your support during this time and would love for you to stop by at any time to visit her.
The best way to and see Christa is stopping by our all-day “Welcome Back” celebration this FRIDAY, JUNE 19th during our normal business hours from 9am-7pm. There will be refreshments as well as finger foods and the attire is casual. Come help us celebrate Christa’s return, and if you are one of her clients, feel free to book with her via online booking or 919-683-2109.
Much love from Posh, and see you soon!