Book Review on The Water Secret: The Cellular Breakthrough to Look and Feel 10 Years Younger
If you’re a person who just can’t do the “Eight Glasses of Water a Day” thing, this is the book for you! Dr. Howard Murad’s book The Water Secret: The Cellular Breakthrough to Look and Feel 10 Years Younger posits that we should be eating our water rather than just drinking it.
When we’re born, human bodies are approximately 75% water. As we age, this percentage decreases down to about 50%. According to Murad, our cells gradually lose their ability to retain water, and it is this fundamental water loss that leads to malfunction, aging and disease. Drink all the water you want, but if your cells can’t hold on to the water, you’re still going to be dehydrated (and running to the bathroom).
Here are the 10 Steps of the “Water Secret”
1. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially those with a high water content (e.g., apples, melons, carrots, lettuce, pineapple, tomatoes). According to Murad, your cells are better able to effectively use and retain water from food.
2. Take a daily multivitamin, as well as Omega-3, Lecithin and Glucosamine supplements. Bonus points if you also take a B-complex vitamin, Calcium + Vitamin D, and an antioxidant supplement. Many of these nutrients are necessary to maintain the health of the cell wall structure (thereby increasing the retention of water within the cells).
3. Get moving! Exercising helps maximize your cellular water throughout your muscles.
4. Practice Self-Discovery. What job or hobby would you like to try? What’s the one thing you hope to accomplish in your lifetime that you haven’t yet? Keep a journal, start a blog, write down the positive things you’re grateful for in your life.
5. Get some sleep! Dr. Murad states that insufficient sleep may well be the biggest health-related lifestyle problem in America, as it can lead to obesity, depression, immune impairment, and lowers the threshold for enduring stress.
6. Try something new and work with your passions and talents as much as possible. Take a cooking class, pottery workshop, or join a book club. Meet new people, experience new things, immerse yourself in what makes you passionate. Excite your brain!
7. Give back to the people you love. Put down the phone, log off your computer and spend REAL face time with people to nourish these connections. Volunteer to clean up a neighborhood park, mentor at a local youth club, or something else that will connect you to your community.
8. Water your skin and treat it well. Wash your face in the morning and evening and slather on a hydrating moisturizer. Wear sunscreen. Get a facial!
9. Relax. Set time aside each day to turn off your cell phone, forget about FaceBook, and stop checking emails. Get a massage once a month. Get outside and experience Mother Nature.
10. Celebrate. Get together with friends or family and have a good time. Laugh until your sides hurt! Spending time with people who are dear to us can be incredibly therapeutic.
My review: The book was interesting to read, but I didn’t feel like there was a lot of new knowledge imparted. The 10 “secrets” are all wonderful and will definitely lead to a more healthful lifestyle, gorgeous skin, and a strong body. Just do like your mom always said—eat your veggies, go to bed, go run around outside with your friends, put down the phone and look at me please, and would it kill you to put on some sunscreen?
Join me on Wednesday, November 5th to learn all about Posh’s new Advanced Facial Peel! Get ready to meet your new skin!!